Wednesday, February 04, 2015

{Mrs.Sweeney}



Once upon a time.....Wait, fairy tales always depict a beautiful princess, in an elegant gown, with her hair tied perfectly with a bow. So before you envision my love story as such, allow me to illustrate what was my reality. I was in my second year of a Masters in Physical Therapy at
the University of Western Ontario. 
It is a demanding program
consisting of 7 hours of classes and on average an additional 4-5 hours of studying per day on top of that, if you want to stay in the program.

 I understand Cinderella must have been busy too, yet she still found time to dress to impress and sing to the birds. 

My wardrobe during the
week consisted of sweat pants and a wife beater. I wore shorts and a sports bra underneath because that was our "school uniform" for practical labs. Let's just say my attire didn't exactly show off my curves and came no where close to Beyonce's standards of bootylicious.

I also have curly hair. For those of you with straight hair let me enlighten you; the day women with curly hair step out of the shower and just go, without diffusing, and using multiple hair products, is the day the zoo is called for a suspected lion on campus. On a daily basis even with my hair pulled back into a tight ponytail, I was Simba.

At the beginning of the school year my best friend in the program, Janette, invited me to the Western
football game. She wanted me to meet her friend Ryan. They attended Liberty University together and he was now in his first year of physio at Western. Before the game there was a contest; fans could win a prize if they could throw the football through a small open hole 15 yards
away. I nailed it on my first throw. 



My competitve spirit got the best
of me as it usually does and I proudly announced I had been
victorious. Our friend Mark was quick to announce that Ryan had also succeeded in the football toss. 
I was intrigued; a man who was athletic AND humble, a rare combination.

 As the next few weeks went on we saw a lot of each other at school; as previously mentioned physio students basically live at school. 
 
I continued to be impressed by many
characteristics Ryan protrayed. He was a man of his word (my dad
always said if a man can't keep his word, don't expect him to keep his vows), hard working, grew up on a farm, patient, intelligent....hot! 

Fortunately I was confident with guys, I loved the chase and knew how to work my flirt. When people tell their love stories you hear "It was love at first site", "He had me at hello", you know how I knew he was the one? I puked. I had lost my game, I had NO game. I was desperate for him to notice me so one morning I straightened my hair (curly hair, remember? No big
deal, it only took me 2 HOURS!!!),

 I put on makeup, I can't quite
remember but I probably threw on a pair of hip hugging jeans. I was so nervous about impressing Ryan... wait, another thing worth noting is that I don't get nervous. I never get nervous before a test, I've been in public speaking contests and nerves were never an issue...

 I was so nervous about impressing Ryan that on my way to the bus stop I puked, and it was all through my straightened hair. You know what happens to straightened hair when it gets wet? It goes frizzy!!!

 I had no time to go back to the house as I could see the bus coming and the next one didn't come for another hour. When I arrived at school I reaked of vomit, half of me was all dolled up and the other
half....welcome back Simba. 

As I walked through the doors to school making a bee line to the bathroom guess who I literally ran
into, Ryan. Cool. He nodded and
said, "Hey." Unable to make eye contact I went to mutter one word that was sure to win over his heart, but before I could the butterflies came back and I was too nauseous to speak. 



The best part of this story
is Ryan later told me he was experiencing the same anxiousness about getting my attention, so much so that he needed his brother Mark to coach him through it.

A few weeks later Ryan called me out of the blue and we talked for over an hour. We hung up the phone and then minutes later he called me back to ask me out. I knew 2 months into our  relationship that he was the one. 


With past boyfriends I focused on
the qualities I loved about them and compromised the qualities that in my heart I knew were not conducive to a lasting marriage. With Ryan I loved everything about him,
unconditionally. When I prayed about our relationship, God gave me a peace about our future. 


One night after our soccer game Ryan picked me up and twirled me around. As my head lay on his chest with his arms wrapped around me I knew that's the place I wanted to stay for the rest of my life.




We have since been happily married for 3 years and just welcomed a handsome baby boy into our lives (who surprisingly DID NOT make me puke, I had a wonderful pregnancy with no morning sickness.) 

Everyday I give my
marriage to God. Marriage is amazing when it is with the right person, with God at the centre.
Unfortunately I have already seen
some of my friends go through separations and divorce. Don't rush into anything. Whether you are 18 or 42 remember it is all in God's timing,
not ours. 

So seek His will in all you do and he will direct your path....right to your man.The wedding you have envisioned for yourself and the man of YOUR dreams can't even compare to the man, wedding and
marriage God has prepared for you, and He is faithful. 

If you are single, pray earnestly for your future husband. Pray for wisdom and discernment when it comes to saying
"yes" and "I do." 

If you are married and your love story does not look like it will end happily ever after, give your heart to Jesus because He is the Redeemer and can make all things new and work together for the good of those who love Him.
 

Until Next Time, 

~Mrs.Sweeney ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment