Saturday, February 01, 2014

Guest Post~ Be Specific!

 
Written By: Joceline 
 
As I sit here staring at the cursor waiting for me to expound on the title the Lord dropped into my heart a few weeks back, when Kerrington,  my beautiful daughter, excitedly said "Mom I want you to be the first to guest post on my blog!"
I'll readily admit I wasn't as excited as she was, a small amount of fear hit me, but I truly felt the Lord wanted me to share this subject with my girls, especially, and if you are at all blessed in the process then I have followed the Lord's leading and have pleased my sweet daughter by guest posting on her blog.
 
My words to my three girls are to: Be Specific
 
The story starts back to when I was about fifteen years old. I was at, what most girls in their teenage years are, ready for love or so I thought. I was always very mature for my age so at fifteen I felt I was ready to make that important decision of love and who could be" the one".
Fortunately, my parents had told me that I was to wait until I was older to begin dating.
 Oh! what a blessing that was in my life. I will say that at the time I wasn't too pleased, but I began to take that time to fall more in love with my first prince, Jesus.
 
I so wanted to be in love, my friends were older and some had already begun to date, so I watched.
When I would return home I would sit and ask the Lord "when will it be my turn?"
He is so candid sometimes, He said to me "How can I bring someone into your life when you really don't know what you want."
"Be Specific and ask me."
Really!?!
So that is the night my list was conceived.
It took some time to write it out and would change over the course of the next few years, but the body of it remained the same, kept inside my diary as a constant reminder.
My utmost cry was that he would love the Lord with all his heart.
I had seen homes divided by "religion" and didn't want the struggle that some had to live everyday.
I needed someone who would point me to Him, someone to lead.
This one never changed it remained a constant #1.
 
Others were more superficial request as I was only a teenager, but since He wanted me to be specific, I wrote what was important to me.
Such as I'd love it if he could play an instrument, preferably the piano, I love music and worship, so that seemed something to ask for.
He needed to be taller and have broad shoulders, and blue eyes. I know really ? but the Lord did say be specific and ask.
So why not?
 
Others were very personal and only the Lord and I know these, but they made it to the list, because He knew where I was and what I needed.
What was wonderful about sitting with the Lord, was not only spending time with Him discussing my future, but I truly began to know who I was and what I wanted.
A wonderful time of revelation.
 
I was an avid reader back in the day, I love to read, and happen to read a book about someone marrying a man who was adopted.  Sure enough the Lord asked me "How would feel about marrying someone who was adopted. Not knowing his past, would you be okay with that?"
I contemplated that question for a while and I answered the Lord with a peaceful yes.
Why He would drop that in my heart, I would not know until I met my future husband.
Isn't God amazing!
 He was preparing me for this, my heart was already settled on that matter, before I found out the man I had feelings for was adopted!
 
Everything on my list was fulfilled in my husband, and then some!
Even things I had whispered to the Lord, but never wrote down.
Thank you Lord for keeping me for him.
 
So what I say to my daughters is: Be Specific.
 
"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Psalms 37:4
 
Ask, pray, wait.
He will never let you down.
 
 
Here is some icing on the cake.
This is how wonderful the Lord works.
 
Another request was that it would be nice, but not necessary if he was a fireman. I know you may not believe this one, but the Lord knows, so that is all that matters.
I did not marry a firefighter.
I did not breathe a word of this request, with my future husband, as I didn't want this expectation on him.
About five years into our marriage, my husband began to talk about joining the fire department and then it all made sense. Why would the Lord place on my heart to be married to a fireman, when I wasn't.
 Again, he was preparing me for the day my husband would bring this request before me.
"I want to join the fire department."
There was no hesitation on my part when he spoke those words.
It could have invoked much fear as this is a dangerous job,
 but
the Lord had already given me peace about this years before it came to pass.
 
So my final words to my daughters are,
Do not worry about your future and all that it holds, especially when it comes to your future husband.
God has it all under control.
 
Photo of Kerrington & I :)
 
Just Be specific.
 
Until next time,
 
Kerrington's  mom, 
 Joceline 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. i loved it SO much! thank you for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Lovely & for sharing it!! :)

      Delete
  2. wow this is beautiful i am a proud father of my daugther and bless whit wonderfull grant daugthers you guys have my heart love always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Joceline!
    I also made a list as a young woman. God always gives us MORE than we could as for and definitely knows those deep desires of our heart.

    ReplyDelete