Thursday, February 05, 2015

{Mrs.Dekold}

 

Nick and I met in the most unusual and yet perfect way. We were set up! Not by people but literally by God! 

My family started going to his home church when I was 18. We had lived 15 mins from each other our whole lives and yet never met! His mom started telling him "There's a new girl at church! And you're not going to believe this but she is going to Texas for Bible college as well!" 

Everyone at church was bugging me to connect with him because "Two people from the same town who didn't know each other are going to Texas. What are the odds!" Finally, I emailed him- this was before cell phones and Facebook!! 
 
I will never forget hitting send and feeling relief- thinking there's no way he would respond! Well he did! I literally said " I'm emailing you so everyone will leave me alone. I completely understand if you don't respond." That was it!!! 

Apparently, it interested him because he responded and well 15 years later here we are!! We were friends for a few months when my dad asked me if something was going on. Of course I responded with "no, we're just friends!" But that got me thinking and I realized there was more there! 

I asked him to go for coffee at Timmies that night after church to hang out- so technically I asked him out!!! I brought up our relationship and we agreed to pray and ask God if it was the right thing to pursue a relationship. 
 

You see, I hadn't had a boyfriend before and had told God I would only date the one I was to marry. I would only kiss the one I was to marry. I had always felt that was the right thing to do for me. 

I knew there was a pure and right way to have a relationship and that's the only kind I wanted. After a week of not seeing each other and praying- we both felt God was giving us a go ahead!! And then the dreaded ask the Dad if we can date happened. Dad said no! 

He said we could be girlfriend/boyfriend and hold hands but that was it! We weren't allowed to go on dates either! 

One time Nick approached my dad asking him if he could take me out to eat and dad said "no"! We never fought it but just submitted even though we didn't quite understand!! Fast forward a little- we are in Bible college for almost a year and came home for thanksgiving break. Nick had coffee with dad- I knew why but we had agreed to not talk about it for one month!! 

To give him a chance to propose and it be a surprise!! It was torture honestly!! I just wanted to know Dads answer! We felt like getting married was the right thing to do but we would honor my dad's decision. I was 19 and Nick was 20! Very young to be getting married! And now when I think about my kids getting married that young I think no way!! So one night he said he wanted to take me to the place we had our first official date!! It's a revolving restaurant in downtown Dallas called Reunion Tower. 

So I picked out his favorite outfit of mine- lilac purple pants with a matching floral sheer top! Lord have mercy what was I thinking when I bought that!! It's was raining so when we got there he went around the back of the car, shoved something in his coat and then brought the umbrella to my door. 

When inside the restaurant he takes out three roses and puts them on the table. I asked- "Are those for me?" To which he says "Yes but they are for after dinner!" 

So we ate dinner and I'm feeling anxious thinking this night be the night!! But still a little confused about the flowers!! When we were finished eating he said "Would you like your flowers now?" Of course I did!! He instructed me to pull out the yellow rose saying "This represents our friendship which is the past." Pull out the red one- "This represents our love which is the present." Pull out the pink rose. "This represents passion which is our future!" And tied to the pink one was a little black box!!!! 

Then he got down on one knee and asked if I would spend the rest of my life with him to which I obviously said yes!! On that night I agreed to be this mans forever wife. 

We agreed the D word- divorce- would never be said in our home. That no matter what happened we would work through it and with Gods help we would stay married forever! 
 

The last 12 years have been a crazy 
ride! Sometimes it was rough- really rough and we wanted to give up but we constantly reminded ourselves that God Himself put us together and that was for a reason! 
 

On May 17th we will celebrate 13 years of marriage! We are more in love than ever before and I honestly love my husband way more today than when I said I do! I'd just like to encourage you to hold true to the promises God gives you! 
 


He knows what you need the most! He knew I needed an extremely patient man! When you do things Gods way it truly does have a happy ending!!!


Until Next Time,

~Mrs.Dekold❤

No comments:

Post a Comment