Tuesday, February 04, 2014

The "Things" we do on Facebook.

You read the title, 
(We are all at fault) 
Now the real question here is, 
"Why?" 

One status that is posted by many young girls, often daily. 
I usually see at least one of them in my newsfeed per day. 
The status everyone has the urge to like,
to see how that person sees them.
We all know it.

"Bored so, 
Like my status for a rate!" 

Why do we have the guts, to seriously "rate" each other?? 

As I was looking through my newsfeed the other day, 
I was so very hurt by the number of "ratings"
that was happening.

No offence, 
If God wanted us to "rate" each other he would have probably put that in the Bible right next to the part
"Love your neighbour, as yourself" just saying! 

Believe me, I am NOT saying that posting this is horrible, 
you've sinned & should repent, 
but I do not agree with it at all. 
 
I actually personally have "liked" a couple of those rate statues just for the fun of it, but after I liked it, 
I had such second thoughts. 

A guilt overcame my heart. 
I had to stop & ask God for his forgiveness; 
 
(God forgive me for putting my self-confidence boost in that rate post on my wall, for all the world to see...Lord, let my self-confidence come from you & you alone!) 


Why would I even want some chick who is bored in her Math class to rate me on my out-ward appearance?!?

"Just because my hips & thighs are little more filled-out than yours, doesn't mean you can rate me a 4!!!" 
These were the thoughts racing through my mind, the Devil was totally using this rate post,
 100% against me. 

John 10:10 
"He came to steal my confidence, 
kill my outward appearance, 
& destroy my self-worth." 

I never really use to notice my 
"filled out" parts until after that post,
every-time I would look in the mirror. That's all I saw. 
All the negative, 
nothing positive at all. 
I was being attacked 
over, & over, & over again. 

Why did I even like that post?! 
To be like the crowd, right? 

My old Youth Pastor actually declared something over me 
many, many times: 
"Though none go with me, still I will follow, No turning back, no turning back." 

This went so deep into my heart. When I see these horrible things going on in social media & 
me not being able to stop them. 
I remembered a quote from 
Danny Silk: 
"You control yourself & 
your actions." 

So with that being said, 
 I will not engage in those posts, 
nor will I post anything like that. 
"Though none will go with me! 
Still I will follow, 
No turning back, No turning back."

It actually makes me SO angry sometimes.
It hurts my heart to know that young people are getting torchered with words & ratings 
on these websites. 


When Facebook was created, 
What do you think it was intended  for?
I personally think it was intended for Positive communication with Friends & Family! 

Unfortunately, many people have misused this tool of communication & it has become a place of Judgment, cyber-bullying, hurt, gossip, anger, & sheer stupidity. 

Facebook has become that place to "vent" that we all look for.
 A place to let your feelings & emotions that have been boiling inside of you, out!!! 
Now, for all the world to see.
Well apparently...since you just posted that on your wall. 
Yay! Now your future kids & future Grand-kids can see that you were so upset with Sally for stealing your date to the grade-school dance. 
(Lovely thought, eh?) 

I recently read an article About Facebook by a lady named, 
Maria Konnikova she stated: 

"No one joins Facebook to be sad and lonely. But a new study from the University of Michigan psychologist Ethan Kross argues that that’s exactly how it makes us feel.
Over two weeks, Kross and his colleagues sent text messages to eighty-two Ann Arbor residents five times per day. The researchers wanted to know a few things: how their subjects felt overall, how worried and lonely they were, how much they had used Facebook, and how often they had had direct interaction with others since the previous text message. Kross found that the more people used Facebook in the time between the two texts, the less happy they felt—and the more their overall satisfaction declined from the beginning of the study until its end. The data, he argues, shows that Facebook was making them unhappy." 
 
 
"Social media—from Facebook to Twitter—have made us more densely networked than ever. Yet for all this connectivity, new research suggests that we have never been lonelier 
(or more narcissistic)—and that this loneliness is making us mentally and physically ill..."
- Stephen Marche 

As it may be a challenge to some people, I use my Facebook as an encouragement tool, not as a "vent".

Today I challenge you to: 
Use Social Media as a place of positive communication, 
instead of always negative...
Let's come together & make our Social Media a better place :)

Until next time, 
 
 
~Kerrington 

No comments:

Post a Comment