Friday, February 13, 2015

{Mr. and Mrs.Sweeney}


Introducing…Mr.and Mrs.Sweeney

First of all, we must say that we are very honored to be telling our love story. We have decided to do this a little differently, from the Mr. and Mrs.
Some of you will already know this, some may not. But we are the parents behind the incredible girl who writes this blog. So, in the words of our daughter, grab a tea and reminisce with us as we take you back some twenty years ago to where is all started...
Mrs. - I was just finishing up my senior year of high-school, preparing for whatever came next. At that point I wasn’t quite sure yet. Already I had been offered a job to start immediately after graduation as a secretary but couldn’t really find peace. A great opportunity but….. Simultaneously my entire senior class was preparing to go to a school convention. If I took the job I would miss this, my final class trip.
Mr. - As some guys would say, school was not one of the things I enjoyed. I had returned for one more year to catch up on some “loose ends”. I much preferred sitting behind my drum set then a desk, as I was the drummer for our church youth band. I didn’t really want to go to this convention as I had lots of school work, a job and… a girlfriend that I didn’t want to leave behind for a whole week!
Mrs. - Torn over this decision, I discussed all of my options with my parents. In the midst of my mind already reeling, I was offered yet another job. After much deliberation, Prayer and a steady dose of frustration I made my decision. With full support of my parents I decided to attend the convention and accept the second job offer.
Mr. - Sitting down with the vice principal of my school, he and I went over reasons why I should attend the 1994 Student Restoration Festival…(I really think he wanted me to go as more of a chaperone than as a student). I decided that I should go as this would be my last year attending.
Mrs. – Finally, after a ten hour drive we reached Watertown, New York where the convention was being held. Nervous yet excited, as to what the week would hold in the various event I was to compete in, I looked forward to it with much anticipation. I had resolved that at this convention I was not going to look to meet someone as I had done at previous youth events. I was going to enjoy myself and go home, looking forward to starting my life.
Mr. – This was not a new trip for our school. We had driven the six hours to convention before. Get out, do my thing and go home was all that was on my mind.  I remember getting off the bus and looking at the school that was to host the festival and wishing I was anywhere but there. Then (pause for effect) in the second story window I noticed some new ladies that I hadn’t seen before.
Mrs. – Already day two, Track and Field. Out across the field, coming toward the sand pit where I was to do my next event, was the very same guy that had sat behind me the night before at the opening ceremonies. Again, my intent was not to meet someone, but he did catch my eye.
Mr. – Day two, my favorite. Track and field, was where our school would clean house. We were from the county and some of us had grown up on farms. My best friend and I were not in any events for the first few hours of the day and decided to show off our football skills to any girls that would give us the time. I was always a big guy and would probably have been better off playing a defensive position, but isn’t it the “QB” and the running backs that get all the attention……Ball hurling through the air, the reach, I touched it and of course…DROP. I went to retrieve the ball when my eyes notice this beauty on the running long jump track. I couldn’t move, I had to watch.
Mrs. – Noticing that I had been noticed, I ran with much force and intent preparing to complete “the perfect long jump”. We were told that we had to compete in at least one field event, so I figured how hard could running long jump be!
Mr. – As she raced down the track toward the pit I could see much determination in her face. Propelling forward with much more force that I think she anticipated she planted her feet in the sand along with the rest of her body. Not quite the perfect jump I think she thought it would be!
Mrs. – Face first right in the sand. Not sure what was hurt more, my body or my pride. As I stood up, trying to compose myself, I heard laughter and teasing that then continued for the rest of the day!
Mr. – Teasing came naturally after what I had just witnessed, but a friend of mine told me that her feelings could be quite hurt and that I should be a gentleman and apologize. So I did…
Mrs. – After a sweet apology I found myself looking to see him or exchange a few words throughout the rest of the week.  Seemed like he was always Mr. Popular, surrounded by many and I had a hard time getting close to him. The end of the week was fast approaching, could I go home and forget about this guy?
Mr. – I found myself constantly thinking about her. Looking for her wherever I went. Friday…tomorrow I would be leaving. How could I spend more time with her? How could I tell her I thought she was beautiful? I had to get her number. Minutes before we left, I slipped her a piece of paper with my address and number on it, hoping she would do the same.
 Mrs. - A piece of Paper? Was it what I had been hoping for? Could it be, that he too didn’t want this to be that last we see of each other?   We exchanged information and had to say our good-byes.
Mr. – I couldn’t stop thinking about her the whole trip home. I wanted to talk to her again. I called her as soon as I got home. We started talking on the phone and sending letters.



That summer over the phone, we fell in love.  In the fall, Mr. made the move to be closer to his future Mrs.  

...We were engaged the following January and married that December, Mr. was 21 and Mrs. was 19 when we made our covenant to love, honor and respect each other. 



Some may say we may have been too young, but we both know it was all in God’s plan! 

Until next time,
Mr.and Mrs.Sweeney

3 comments:

  1. How exciting it is to experience how God makes all things work together for good. Love the story.Great job ! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete