Monday, September 08, 2014

{911 Week Series} By: Charlene Tapping




I am honored to contribute to this weeks blog. This week we arehonouring those that respond to 911 calls and their families. My name is Charlene Tapping and I am married to Rich, a full-time firefighter with the City of Windsor.
When Rich and I started dating, I was introduced into the life of a first responder.  

The life” of a first responder (which includes their spouse and children) is more of a unique lifestyle of its own.  Something you cannot train for or really understand until you get emotionally involved.  Visiting the fire station was a great way to find out how these men and women work together and understanding the stresses of the job.  
 


They all “live” together for their 24 hour shift. Everyone has chores, they decide on what is for dinner together (that is why you see firetrucks at the grocery store, they go shopping together in case there is a call so they are ready to go at a moment’s notice), training, cooking dinner and cleanup and of course this is between callsand other duties throughout their shift.
The life at the fire station seemed normal to me at first until it was time for the call came in.  Their attention was immediately switched over from visiting time to work time. I couldn’t believe how fast the firefighters can get out of the station and on the truck. I think it is around a minute and a half! With, I am sure, adrenalin kicking in, responding to I have no idea what (I am not sure how they can make out what is being said over the loud speaker), at the drop of a hat, you would think how one can do this for a shift and come home and shut it off.  
 
One of the things I first noticed was the underlying mental preparedness each one of them faces.  Face it, at any moment, they could be rushing into a situation where everyone is running away from and they have to run in.
And what I have come to learn is that, in the background, it really never shuts off. There is no typical day as they must be ready and prepared for whatever comes.  My husband likes the job because he never knows what to expect. Each day (shift) is different.  I’ve heard many stories of car accidents, rescue calls, fires (mostly from not working smoke detectors and unattended kitchen fires) to some of the strangest things you have ever heard.  
 
So as a wife, saying good-bye at 7am and not seeing him for 24 and sometimes 48 hours at a time, is a lifestyle, unique from others families.  I pray for Rich and the fire departmenteveryday, that God keeps him safe and that they use wisdom on every call. At the end of the shift, when he returns home, is when I need to provide the support system at home.  It’s easy toexpect our spouse to walk in (thinking he is leaving his work at work) and expect him to “be normal”, especially running into every day activities in a busy household.  But it is not as easy as one may think.
 
So how do I (we) cope with this lifestyle?  We are all affected by this line of work as those in first response jobs. I try to give Rich down time when he gets home, he is usually very tired the day after a shift and isn’t really himself.  Sometimes he tells me about his day and the calls, other times he doesn’t.  
I know I’m not cut out to see and hear all the stuff he does.
 
I have a hard time listening to the scanner. I feel I need to stop and pray all the time. I find listening to the scanner stressful. I can’t imagine being a first responder myself. I am very proud of my husband and the work he does. There is a big sacrifice these men and women give. It is very stressful at times and I am learning that he lives and breathes this stuff.  I think I provide the normalcy in life and help him enjoy it. Sometimes it can be easy to fall into a very serious mentality all the time. It is important to turn it off and laugh and play.
God is good and I am blessed to play my part in this honorable profession.  Thank you for this privilege of saying Thank You to all the 911 workers.
 
 About Charlene: 




Charlene Tapping is a wife and a mother who loves her family.  She is a graduate of Essex District High School and received a diploma in Dental Assisting at St. Clair College.  After working for a number of years in orthodontics, she became a stay at home mom to raise her three daughters and son.  With Charlene recently remarried in 2012 to Rich, she works part time as a Chiropractic Assistant and is running a blended household with 7 children.  Rebecca is going to college; Spencer, David, Connor and Rachel going into high school; and Russell and Zoe in elementary school.  Charlene is a positive influence on those around her and has a genuine love for people. Charlene is known for her encouraging words and big smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment