Tuesday, October 07, 2014

A Week of Gratefulness {Day Two}



Written By: Taylor Horner
"Being Grateful in all Circumstances..." 
 
Being grateful is easy to do when life is going our way and it is a simple task to smile and thank God for all that is going right in our life. Though, on the flip side it is hard to thank our God in situations where we feel nothing is going our way, and we are not sure if God is watching out for us anymore. 

When I find myself getting down on circumstances in my life that I wish were going in a different direction I attempt to remind myself that God has a better plan for my life then I can even imagine. I think of this verse every time I find myself not putting all my trust in our God.
 
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I remember a time in my life last summer where I was having a battle with God. I am sure he was just waiting for me to give in to His will.  What I wanted and what He wanted for my life were two completely different things. It took me a long time to feel comfortable and trust God with this new change in my life. I was upset, hurt, and felt like God wasn’t listening to me. 

 I had to lean on Godly people in my life and the word to help me look for answers. Though it took me some time to heal, this moment in my life that felt like an eternity brought me closer to God. I went back to the basics with God and searched for Him through the Bible for my knowledge and strength.
 
“I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
 
Though it took me a while to be grateful for the circumstance I was in, I learned. When I was hurting, people were there for me and kept me positive and listened to me through my hardship. What a blessing and something to be grateful for!  

Now a year later I look back and am so grateful that I went through that trial in my life as I would not be on the same positive path I am and I do not believe my relationship with God would be as strong as it is now.
 
I say all that to say this, I urge everyone when they are going through a negative situation to write out all the positive things/people that are still around you, or the positives that come from a negative situation. I also suggest you write down verses that bring you strength. In my circumstance, I did not see the positive right away, but now that I do I am so grateful for letting go and giving it all to God. 

I would not have all the blessings I do right now if I would have stuck with my path instead of God’s a year ago, and that is a scary thought to me!
 
“He heals the brokenhearted, and binds up their wounds.”(Psalm 147:3)
 
Remember to be grateful in all circumstances, because even if you can’t see the positives, God can and I would much rather rely on His plan than my own! God’s blessings for us will be better then we can imagine if we stay faithful to Him. So be willing to trust, dive into God’s Word, and always give thanks.
 
 
About Taylor: 
 

My name is Taylor; I am twenty-one year old cat lover in my fourth year of University in my Bachelors of Social Work! I love being involved in my church, which includes participating on the worship team, helping with the young adults group, and going on missions trips whenever they are offered. I am hoping that my career will lead me on the path of traveling to help communities in need especially in the area of addictions. I am newly engaged and I am so excited for this new chapter in my life that God has blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment